缘于里奥对基顿和卓别林的评价。。

“The difference between Keaton and Chaplin, is the difference between prose and poetry,between the aristocrat and the tramp,between man as machine and
man as angel”
“基顿与卓别林的区别,恰似散文之于诗歌,贵族之于流浪者,亦如机械版精准的人之于天使般灵性的人。”

马修反诘,争论开始。。
“That’s good ,except for me ,there’s no comparison .”
“说得好。不过在我看来,他们根本无可比性。”

“Why?Because Chaplin is incomparable?”
“为什么?是因为卓别林无可比拟吗?”

“No.Because Keaton is incomparable.”
“不对,无可比拟的,是基顿。”

“You think Keaton is greater than Chaplin?”
”你认为基顿比卓别林更伟大?”

“Absolutely I do”
“那当然”

“You’re not serious?”
“你不是认真的吧。”

“Course I’m”
“我当然是!”

“You are crazy.”
“你真是疯了。”

“You can’t deny that Keaton is funnier than Chaplin.”
“你无法否认,基顿就是比卓别林更有趣。”

“I can.”
“我能!

“You don’t think that Keaton is funnier than Chaplin?”
“难道你不认为基顿比卓别林更滑稽吗?”

“Nobody is funnier than Chaplin.”
“没人能比卓别林更好笑。”

“Keaton is. Even when he is not doing anything. And he looks like Godard. Keaton is a real filmma-ker. Chaplin, all he cares about is his own perfor-mance,his own ego.”
“基顿就能,即使他什么也不做,也能令人捧腹大笑。况且,他长得很像戈达尔。基顿是真正的电影人,而卓别林呢?满心装的都是自己的表演和手段。”

“That is bullshit.”
“胡说八道”

二人一顿法美文化互喷后,
里奥又扯回基顿和卓别林的话题。。

“When Chaplin wanted to have a beautiful shot ,he knew how.
Better than Keaton , better than anybody.
You remember the last shot of City Light ? He looks at the flower-girl, she looks at him . And don’t forget that she had been blind ,so she was seein-g him for the very first time .
And it’s as if , through her eyes, we also see him for the very first time.
Chaplin, the most famous man in the world ,as if we never seen him before.”
““当卓别林想要一个绝美的镜头时,他知道如何实现。
他比基顿更懂,比任何人都懂。
你还记得《城市之光》的最后一个镜头吗?他望着卖花女,卖花女也望着他。别忘了,她曾是盲人,这是她第一次真正看见他。
而通过她的眼睛,我们也仿佛第一次看见了他。
卓别林,这个全世界最知名的人,却让我们感觉之前从未认识过他。”