緣于裡奧對基頓和卓别林的評價。。
“The difference between Keaton and Chaplin, is the difference between prose and poetry,between the aristocrat and the tramp,between man as machine and
man as angel”
“基頓與卓别林的區别,恰似散文之于詩歌,貴族之于流浪者,亦如機械版精準的人之于天使般靈性的人。”
馬修反诘,争論開始。。
“That’s good ,except for me ,there’s no comparison .”
“說得好。不過在我看來,他們根本無可比性。”
“Why?Because Chaplin is incomparable?”
“為什麼?是因為卓别林無可比拟嗎?”
“No.Because Keaton is incomparable.”
“不對,無可比拟的,是基頓。”
“You think Keaton is greater than Chaplin?”
”你認為基頓比卓别林更偉大?”
“Absolutely I do”
“那當然”
“You’re not serious?”
“你不是認真的吧。”
“Course I’m”
“我當然是!”
“You are crazy.”
“你真是瘋了。”
“You can’t deny that Keaton is funnier than Chaplin.”
“你無法否認,基頓就是比卓别林更有趣。”
“I can.”
“我能!
“You don’t think that Keaton is funnier than Chaplin?”
“難道你不認為基頓比卓别林更滑稽嗎?”
“Nobody is funnier than Chaplin.”
“沒人能比卓别林更好笑。”
“Keaton is. Even when he is not doing anything. And he looks like Godard. Keaton is a real filmma-ker. Chaplin, all he cares about is his own perfor-mance,his own ego.”
“基頓就能,即使他什麼也不做,也能令人捧腹大笑。況且,他長得很像戈達爾。基頓是真正的電影人,而卓别林呢?滿心裝的都是自己的表演和手段。”
“That is bullshit.”
“胡說八道”
二人一頓法美文化互噴後,
裡奧又扯回基頓和卓别林的話題。。
“When Chaplin wanted to have a beautiful shot ,he knew how.
Better than Keaton , better than anybody.
You remember the last shot of City Light ? He looks at the flower-girl, she looks at him . And don’t forget that she had been blind ,so she was seein-g him for the very first time .
And it’s as if , through her eyes, we also see him for the very first time.
Chaplin, the most famous man in the world ,as if we never seen him before.”
““當卓别林想要一個絕美的鏡頭時,他知道如何實現。
他比基頓更懂,比任何人都懂。
你還記得《城市之光》的最後一個鏡頭嗎?他望着賣花女,賣花女也望着他。别忘了,她曾是盲人,這是她第一次真正看見他。
而通過她的眼睛,我們也仿佛第一次看見了他。
卓别林,這個全世界最知名的人,卻讓我們感覺之前從未認識過他。”

