
那就先从主席先生这件洁白的衬衫说起吧。
Let's start with Mr. Chairman's clean white shirt.
昨天午夜,唐人街十二号的云姐还在您的豪宅外,等着取您参加完酒会换下弄污的衬衫。
Last night at midnight, Ms. Yun from Chinatown No. 12 was waiting outside your mansion to collect the wine-stained shirt you changed out of after the party.
天没亮,卖菜的阿强就把蔬果送到了您府上,为了保证您今天来这之前的早餐足够新鲜。
Before dawn, the vegetable seller A-Qiang delivered fresh produce to your residence to ensure your breakfast was fresh before coming here today.
你不明白?那我就说简单点。
If you don’t understand? let me make it simple.
在座的各位都是怎么来的?
How did everyone here arrive?
谁修建了这条贯穿东西的大铁路?
Who built this transcontinental railway?
一锤锤挖凿完成的,华人干着最困难和最危险的工作。
It was built hammer by hammer—Chinese workers took on the hardest and most dangerous jobs.
我们用高达百分之十的死亡率换来了全美第一条铁路百分之七十的路段。
With a mortality rate as high as 10%, we built 70% of the first transcontinental railroad in America.
都说这条铁路每一根枕木下都埋着一名华人。
They say there’s a Chinese worker buried under every railroad tie.
这不是夸张,这是事实。
This is not an exaggeration—it’s the truth.
他们两个和我自己,是那场灾难最后幸存的三个人。
The two of them and I are the last three survivors of that disaster.
我的兄弟老四失去了他的胳膊;这个年轻人阿鬼失去了他的父母。
My brother Lao-Si lost his arm; this young man A-Gui lost his parents.
摄影师Andrew J. Russell拍摄的“东西两段铁路的胜利会师”,1869年5月10日,犹他州海角峰,美国华人博物馆(MOCA)核心展览展出图片
但在这张最著名的竣工合影上,为什么没有一个华人的身影?
But in this most famous completion photo, why is there not a single Chinese face?
是我们不配吗?
Are we not worthy?
先生们,我请你们看看脚下的大理石地板、这些椅子、桌子,以及这富丽堂皇的穹顶。
Gentlemen, look at the marble floor beneath your feet, these chairs, tables, and the magnificent dome above.
全部出自被你们的傲慢、偏见、歧视所伤害的华人之手。
All were created by the hands of Chinese people—those you’ve harmed with your arrogance, prejudice, and discrimination.
此刻,我的独子正暴尸场外。
Right now, my only son flashed outside his home.
他生在美国。
He was born in America.
我们父子为这个国家付出了年华和生命。
My son and I have given our youth and lives to this country.
可我们最终得到了什么?
And what have we received in return?
得到的是一纸没有询问过任何华人的排华法案。
We received the Chinese Exclusion Act—a law enacted without consulting a single Chinese person.
你们说我们是洞中的老鼠,但我相信在座的各位,无人不受益于老鼠的功劳。
You call us "rats in the hole," yet every one of you here benefits from the labor of these "rats."
你们的食物从哪来?衣服、房子,甚至交通。
Where does your food come from? Your clothes, houses, even your transportation.
在这片土地上,在那些土著眼里,我们都是外来者。
In this land, in the eyes of the natives, we are all outsiders.
“人人生而平等”是美国的独立精神,立国之本。
"All men are created equal"—this is the spirit of American independence, the foundation of this nation.
先生们,我只想问最后一句——平等在哪里?
Gentlemen, my final question is this—where is equality?