
那就先從主席先生這件潔白的襯衫說起吧。
Let's start with Mr. Chairman's clean white shirt.
昨天午夜,唐人街十二号的雲姐還在您的豪宅外,等着取您參加完酒會換下弄污的襯衫。
Last night at midnight, Ms. Yun from Chinatown No. 12 was waiting outside your mansion to collect the wine-stained shirt you changed out of after the party.
天沒亮,賣菜的阿強就把蔬果送到了您府上,為了保證您今天來這之前的早餐足夠新鮮。
Before dawn, the vegetable seller A-Qiang delivered fresh produce to your residence to ensure your breakfast was fresh before coming here today.
你不明白?那我就說簡單點。
If you don’t understand? let me make it simple.
在座的各位都是怎麼來的?
How did everyone here arrive?
誰修建了這條貫穿東西的大鐵路?
Who built this transcontinental railway?
一錘錘挖鑿完成的,華人幹着最困難和最危險的工作。
It was built hammer by hammer—Chinese workers took on the hardest and most dangerous jobs.
我們用高達百分之十的死亡率換來了全美第一條鐵路百分之七十的路段。
With a mortality rate as high as 10%, we built 70% of the first transcontinental railroad in America.
都說這條鐵路每一根枕木下都埋着一名華人。
They say there’s a Chinese worker buried under every railroad tie.
這不是誇張,這是事實。
This is not an exaggeration—it’s the truth.
他們兩個和我自己,是那場災難最後幸存的三個人。
The two of them and I are the last three survivors of that disaster.
我的兄弟老四失去了他的胳膊;這個年輕人阿鬼失去了他的父母。
My brother Lao-Si lost his arm; this young man A-Gui lost his parents.
攝影師Andrew J. Russell拍攝的“東西兩段鐵路的勝利會師”,1869年5月10日,猶他州海角峰,美國華人博物館(MOCA)核心展覽展出圖片
但在這張最著名的竣工合影上,為什麼沒有一個華人的身影?
But in this most famous completion photo, why is there not a single Chinese face?
是我們不配嗎?
Are we not worthy?
先生們,我請你們看看腳下的大理石地闆、這些椅子、桌子,以及這富麗堂皇的穹頂。
Gentlemen, look at the marble floor beneath your feet, these chairs, tables, and the magnificent dome above.
全部出自被你們的傲慢、偏見、歧視所傷害的華人之手。
All were created by the hands of Chinese people—those you’ve harmed with your arrogance, prejudice, and discrimination.
此刻,我的獨子正暴屍場外。
Right now, my only son flashed outside his home.
他生在美國。
He was born in America.
我們父子為這個國家付出了年華和生命。
My son and I have given our youth and lives to this country.
可我們最終得到了什麼?
And what have we received in return?
得到的是一紙沒有詢問過任何華人的排華法案。
We received the Chinese Exclusion Act—a law enacted without consulting a single Chinese person.
你們說我們是洞中的老鼠,但我相信在座的各位,無人不受益于老鼠的功勞。
You call us "rats in the hole," yet every one of you here benefits from the labor of these "rats."
你們的食物從哪來?衣服、房子,甚至交通。
Where does your food come from? Your clothes, houses, even your transportation.
在這片土地上,在那些土著眼裡,我們都是外來者。
In this land, in the eyes of the natives, we are all outsiders.
“人人生而平等”是美國的獨立精神,立國之本。
"All men are created equal"—this is the spirit of American independence, the foundation of this nation.
先生們,我隻想問最後一句——平等在哪裡?
Gentlemen, my final question is this—where is equality?